Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Kombo Update

Salaamaleekum!

We are now in the Kombo area for swear in on Friday and are staying at the Peace Corps transit house. Kombo is the name for the metropolitan area surrounding the capital, Banjul, and encompasses the coastal cities. It is the only place in country where you can get cold gatorade, ice cream, and pizza. Not surprisingly, after two months in rural villages eating rice and drinking well water, a cold drink goes a long way. Today we had our final assessment and will be sworn in as Peace Corps volunteers in two days. After our assessment, me and a couple other volunteers headed to the beach for some amazing body surfing and sun. The beach is spectacular and the waves are huge, upwards of ten feet right off shore. The weather is perfect right now, in the 90s during the day and not too humid. In a few months it is supposed to reach 125 degrees daily. I had a crazy encounter with local wildlife a few weeks back. I was walking in the bush in the evening to get some alone time and happened upon what I thought were monkeys. I decided to follow them through the bush to get a closer look. All of a sudden I had stumbled upon about 30 baboons and they all started screaming and going nuts. I was all alone and far from help. A large male came out in front of me and began posturing as if to charge. I just backed my way out and was followed for awhile but managed to get back to village before dark. It was scary but exhilarating. After swear in I will begin shopping for home furnishings and anything I may need in village. It's all very exciting....

2 comments:

  1. AGHH this is sooo cool!!
    I love reading your posts!
    Keep them coming please :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great way to share your experiences with all of us, and also to preserve it for the future.

    ReplyDelete